Kantha Work - first attempt


This is my contemporary take on this ancient form of folk art.It roots are from the Indian state of West Bengal and Bangladesh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakshi_Kantha  This wikipedia page provides some detailed information and also has links to read and see some very rare and unique work. 


I got interested after seeing some cushion covers that my brother brought home after visiting one of the kantha making villages in Bangladesh. He explained as to how the women were sewing. I wanted to learn more about this, so I searched the web for Indian embroidery methods and patterns. 

I used three layers of white voile; first tacked them in place and drew the pattern [which I had sketched previously] using freehand, as it is said to have done in the past. This results the work having more of an asymmetrical look. Well, I do not know how much my design have such a look.


It is also noted that the traditional colours used in kantha work are red, blue, green and black. I however, incorporated few other colours as well.  I used dark blue thread and outlined the design in 'running stitch' which is the main stitch used in kantha.  The rest is filled in using same stitch, and other colours which I thought were suitable.

 I completed this piece a couple of weeks ago, and it took about 3 months.



I still wonder, whether I should have filled in the centre which I left in white. And, I also just noticed that I have not done the little bird's legs .... Does that look incomplete?


I have started yet another piece and look forward to see how it will turn out.

xxx,
Gaia

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, this is so beautiful! And your first attempt at this Kantha work. You amaze me, Gaia. I love that you reach out to try new things. You inspire me. Thank you!

    Wishing you a beautiful day...
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete

Monday...

Some more of my water color work. I really enjoyed painting Golden Girls and I love Lucy.  I have watched both series so many times. Gol d e...

Top 3 !